Friday 28 June 2013

Update - Irvine Welsh


Okay, so let's get one thing straight. Irvine Welsh is my favourite author. By some distance, too, I might add. He is the only author that will continuously have me in fits of laughter. John Peel once said that as long as The Fall  released a new album, then that was his sole reason to live. Putting John's analogy into practice and I feel the same about Welsh.

His themes stem from dark places; urban decay, drug use, et al. Welsh shapes his characters based on the social conditions of a particular time. Politics shapes these social conditions. Recently he spoke to The Quietus about the forthcoming adaptation of Filth; in my opinion, his finest work.

Welsh also confirmed that he working on the follow-up to the fantastic Skagboys; his prequel to Trainspotting. Although yet to be titled, the follow-up is a "lesbian noir" based in Miami.

Check out the interview here.

Side note: thanks to my spiritual brother, Sean Beadmore, for the heads up on this article. Also, check out his blog, folks. My boy knows his onions.

By Simon K.


No comments:

Post a Comment